Category 6: Best Mobile Technology
6a. Best Mobile Infrastructure
This category targets notable enhancements and developments in the crucial elements of the mobile network, the Radio Access Network (RAN), the transport and back haul and the CN (Core Network). These make up the ‘engine room’ of any mobile operator’s network and are paramount to the service offering. The RAN, back haul and Core constitutes the major part of investment in network development and expansion for operators and represent the vital components for any network operation.
Dedicated LTE products have their own award category and entrants with a specific LTE related solutions or services should go to Category 6g. LTE based solutions with notable backward support for 2G and 3G legacy will also be considered here. Entrants may post the same the category in this category as well as in Category 6g if they wish.
This category includes, but is not restricted to, all component parts in the RAN the Core – both Circuit Switch and Packet Core, and the transmission and backhaul as part of the Access network is also included in this category. This award will be focused on the best in class RAN, Core and Access deployments and will look at features, functionality, scalability, price points and innovation.
Examples of this are:
- New features and functionality in the underlying infrastructure
- Scalability across varying market needs
- Protection of existing operator investment
- Superior data handling Seamless integration with other vendors equipment
- Progressive support to SDO standards and demonstration of leading edge deployment of technology
- Simpler and easier operations and maintenance for operators
- Price point advantage
The judges will shortlist five entries in this category, with one winner announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Tuesday 25th February 2014.
Entry is open to all players in the Mobile sector and all participating organisations that are developing a wide range of advanced mobile infrastructure solutions.
Entry is open to:
- Mobile Network Infrastructure manufacturers and suppliers using the GSM family of technologies
- Software developers
- Innovators in the mobile industry
The platform, equipment, software or service entered must have been launched and commercially available prior to the closing deadline of the awards. The Entry Deadline has been extended until Friday 6th December 2013.
This must include at least one full commercial deployment carrying live customers or demonstrable use of the service or platform. Trials or Beta System deployments are not considered to be eligible. Please provide evidence in your entry to support this such as the end user launch date of the service, including details of countries or regions where the service is available.
Entries for the Best Mobile Infrastructure Technology category will be judged on the following main criteria:
- How does the infrastructure solution impact on the mobile industry?
- What are the innovative or unique features of the technology?
- Support for all generations of technology and protection of existing investments
- To what extent does the technology change the economics of the mobile industry and in particular for operators?
- Speed and ease of deployment and operations
- Global success in the market place
Entry forms, supporting materials & formats:
This year, the submission of video to support your entry/entries is very positively encouraged.
You may provide one URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be between three and five minutes in length, but no more.
If pointing judges to a website within your entry, please include one website URL, where specific information relating to your product or service entry can be found (judges will not surf websites looking for the information).
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multimedia. You will have the ability to upload 5 additional files to accompany your entry up to a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be illustration PDF for customer testimonials etc, JPEG for photos or Powerpoint for technical diagrams or statistics, but please keep these relevant to your entry and keep the pages to a maximum of 2.
Specific Entry Form Questions for this category:
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text/character length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
Preview of entry form questions:
- What is the brand name of your Mobile Technology? (i.e. the entry) Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (150 characters = approx. 25words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (150characters = approx 25 words)
- Give evidence that the product or solution was commercially available and in services carrying live traffic or customers before 29th November 2013 and in which markets? (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- If this product or service is a new release or update to an existing version, please explain the key differences and advances available in this release compared to the previous version. Please note that it is only the new release enhanced features or functions that the judges will consider. (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- To what extent does your technology change the economics of the mobile industry? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- How does your solution protect existing investments? (1,500 characters = approx. 250 words)
- Please describe what is unique, new or innovative about your infrastructure or solution? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Is your solution applicable to multiple markets on a global scale? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Give evidence of the market success or take up rate of your technology (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
Please note: Use one URL that is specific and relevant to the category and will help judges further understand your entry, but due to the number of entries received, judges will not have time to surf company websites looking for further information on the entered product/service or initiative.