Category 6: Best Mobile Technology
6b. Best Mobile Technology Breakthrough
This category recognises the very many technological advances the mobile industry sees each year outside of the core network infrastructure and radio access layers.
This category captures breakthrough technology enhancement in the entire mobile ecosystem. This very wide ranging space includes components, microprocessors, memory, chips sets, screens, batteries, to name but a few and even looks at design innovation and form-factors. It is aimed at recognising the tremendous diversity of the mobile eco-system as it continues to innovate and add new dimensions to the customer experience.
The Best Mobile Technology Breakthrough award highlights the contribution that Mobile Operators, manufacturers, and suppliers make to increase mobile usage, expand the user experience, and help expand business opportunities. Examples of this are:
- Support to handset enrichment such as new screen technology, browsers, operating systems, memory, battery life extensions, usability (please note devices themselves have their own category).
- Support to multi language environments
- All forms of components and semi-conductors including Chip Sets and memory, used in the mobile system (not merely in Devices).
- New designs, hardware and form-factor breakthroughs or development in materials leading to lighter, cheaper, longer lasting products
- Application of new sciences in the mobile eco-system
- Technology advancements in the operations and maintenance of mobile networks including tools and systems
The judges will shortlist five entries in this category, with one winner announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Tuesday 26th February 2013 .
Entry is open to all players in the Mobile eco-system as below, and all participating organisations that are developing a wide range of advanced mobile broadband solutions.
Entry is open to:
- Mobile Network Operators using the GSM family of technologies
- Component, chip set, micro-processor, memory, manufacturers
- Software developers
- Radio & Core network Infrastructure vendors and suppliers
- Transmission suppliers
- Innovators in the mobile industry
The platform, equipment, software or service entered must have been launched and commercially available prior to the closing deadline of the awards (Friday 30th November 2012). This must include at least one full commercial deployment carrying live customers or demonstrable use of the service or platform. Trials or Beta System deployments are not considered to be eligible. Please provide evidence in your entry to support this such as the end user launch date of the service, including details of countries or regions where the service is available.
Entries for the Best Mobile Technology Breakthrough category will be judged on the following main criteria:
- What will be the impact on the mobile industry of the new technology?
- In what demonstrable ways does the new technology enhance the end-use experience?
- What are the innovative or unique features of your technology?
- To what extent does your technology change the economics of the mobile industry?
- Is the new technology applicable to multiple markets on a global scale?
Entry forms, supporting materials & formats:
This year, the submission of video to support your entry/entries is very positively encouraged. You may provide one URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be between three and five minutes in length, but no more.
If pointing judges to a website within your entry, please include one website URL, where specific information relating to your product or service entry can be found easily (judges will not surf websites looking for the information).
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multimedia. You will have the ability to upload five additional files to accompany your entry up to a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be illustration PDF for customer testimonials etc, JPEG for photos or Powerpoint for technical diagrams or statistics, but please keep these relevant to your entry and keep the pages to a maximum of two.
Specific Entry Form Questions for this category:
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text/character length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
Preview of entry form questions:
- What is the brand name of your Mobile Technology? (i.e. the entry) Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (150 characters = approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (150 characters = approx 25 words)
- Give evidence that the product or solution was commercially available and in use before 30 November 2012 and in which markets? (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- If this product or service is a new release or update to an existing version, please explain the key differences and advances available in this release compared to the previous version. Please note that it is only the new release enhanced features or functions that the judges will consider. (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- What are the key benefits for the mobile industry of your technology breakthrough? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Please describe what is unique, new or innovative about your product or solution? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- In what demonstrable ways does your new technology enhance the end-use experience? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- To what extent does your technology change the economics of the mobile industry? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Please give additional background information to support your entry. For example, why is it good value for customers and, specifically, what evidence is there that a large user following has been established. (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
Please note: Use one URL that is specific and relevant to the category and will help judges further understand your entry, but due to the number of entries received, judges will not have time to surf company websites looking for further information on the entered product/service or initiative.