1g. The Mobile Connect Award for Authentication & Identity
Increasingly, our business and private lives are conducted over the Internet through online and mobile services. With the tremendous benefits this brings in terms of convenience and efficiency, have come new concerns over the security and privacy. Username-passwords are not safe enough, privacy of data is also a concern for most consumers all across the world and so better solutions are needed.
The key to protecting and safeguarding personal data and giving consumer back the control over privacy is in the authentication capabilities of the mobile. This enables consumers, businesses and governments to interact and access services in a simple, private, trusted and secure environment.
The GSMA’s Mobile Connect is a secure universal log-in solution. Simply by matching the user to their mobile phone, it allows them to log-in to websites and applications quickly without the need to remember passwords and usernames. It’s safe, secure and no personal information is shared without permission.
This special award category is designed to recognise the best use of mobile for personal authentication and identity applications, safeguarding, protecting, and enhancing the use of electronic identities. It is for the contribution and development of innovative services that support the GSMA’s Mobile Connect initiative, in terms of compliant approaches to seamless, secure, consistent and interoperable approaches to managing digital authentication and identity.
Orange Spain, Telefonica and Vodafone Spain for Mobile Connect
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016″
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to mobile operators and all others in the mobile & online services eco-system that use and support authentication and identity based on GSMA’s Mobile Connect initiative. The subject of the entry must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards. It is for available applications or services that have been launched or in wide spread trials during 2016, and up to year end 2016. Please provide evidence in your entry to support this such as launch or trial dates, including details of countries or regions where the service or application is currently available or in trial.
Entry is open to:
- Mobile Operators participating in the GSMA Mobile Connect initiative
- Suppliers of technologies to support operators and this programme
- Software and application developers, service and solution providers, as above
- Banking, finance, transaction and credit solution providers
- Government services and agencies
- Identity, Security & Authentication Applications & Services
- E-Government & Public Services
- Commerce (Online & Physical), Retail, Banking & Financial Services
- Digital Health Services
- Digital Entertainment, Media, Games & Content Applications & Services
- Travel, Transport, Tourism, Events & Hospitality
- Ticketing, Marketing, Social Media
Entries for the Mobile Connect Award for Authentication & Identity will be judged on the following main criteria:
- Innovation; what aspects of the identity solution are unique and genuinely innovative?
- How does the entry demonstrate a consistent and coherent experience for users?
- To what degree does the submission currently conform to, or will conform to the GSMA’s Mobile Connect protocols?
- Simplicity of use (in deployment by operator and/or use by customer)
- How does it bring together convenience with trusted security protocols?
- How does it protect users’ privacy?
- How widely is it deployed across different countries/networks and what scale of customer enrolment has it achieved to date?
Strong demonstration of government or a vertical sector take up and implementation
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the brand or name of your Mobile Connect Award entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards materials and publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please describe the nature of the entry, and the identity & authentication challenge it addresses? i.e. how does it actually work, and what is the user proposition? Please describe it as accurately and simply as possible (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of your entry was in “Live” implementation, operating commercially or in large scale trials during 2016 (or will be by year end), and when it was launched and in which markets? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile (cellular) technologies? (approx. 100 words)
- Please describe what you consider to be the innovative or unique features of the entry that judges should consider (approx. 100 words)
- To what degree does the entry conform to the GSMA’s Mobile Connect protocol? Describe key elements that do conform and are compliant? (approx. 250 words)
- How has using Mobile Connect allowed you to differentiate your product or solution? (approx. 250 words)
- Give evidence of the success achieved so far in terms of customer enrolment or take up since launch or the trial period (approx. 250 words)
- Does your technology allow the user to personalise and customise their services, if so in what ways? (approx. 250 words)
- In what ways will the end user or the service provider feel more secure after using your product or service? (approx. 250 words)
- If your Mobile Connect entry was submitted in the 2016 awards, please describe significant advances, in terms of new capabilities, innovations and growth since the previous entry? (approx. 250 words)