1c. Best Mobile Innovation for Automotive
The Best Mobile Innovation for Automotive award highlights best in class innovation in telematics, infotainment and the deployment of connected cars and vehicles and their associated services, products, applications and initiatives.
The value of the global market for vehicle connectivity components and services to €170bn by 2020, more than five times higher than today’s €30bn, according to a recent report, and Connected cars will make up more than 55% of world-wide new automotive sales, according to others*. Innovation is addressing all service categories, such as infotainment systems, connected navigation or telematics for passenger vehicles, such as combustion engines, electrical vehicles, hybrid and commercial vehicles. In particular, this category is for mobile (or cellular) based solutions which foster wide-spread deployment of connected vehicles and their services.
Key aspects include:
- Promoting embedded mobile (or cellular) connectivity for systems and services
- Demonstrating the enrichment of the driver’s experience and convenience, while ensuring safety e.g. entertainment, location, diagnostics (e.g. avoiding driver distraction)
- The multiplier effect on the development for additional products, services, functionality
- The potential for widespread implementation and sustainability, with no regulatory infringement
- Promoting interoperability (e.g. simple to configure and little investment).
* Source: McKinsey/ HIS Automotive Report
Anagog for Crowdsourced Parking Technology
Entry Deadline & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016.
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all organisations in the automotive & mobile (cellular) ecosystem that provide connectivity based products, devices, services, solutions, applications and initiatives. The subject of the entry must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards. Entrants must also demonstrate “Live” implementation, specifically that the entry is operating and available during, and up to Year end 2016.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however, it is by no means exhaustive:
- Telematics equipment manufacturers & solution providers
- Infotainment manufacturers & solution providers
- Automotive manufacturers
- Mobile network operators
- Mobile chipset, module and automotive parts manufacturers
Application & Software Developers & publishers
- In-car Telematics
- In-car entertainment or infotainment
- Sensor & on-board and remote diagnostic technologies
- Customer sales, support & concierge services
- Navigation & location services
- Safety & security applications and services
- Innovation for Autonomous or Driverless cars
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- Innovation of mobile technology and functionality deployed
- Product, Service or App business models, market potential and sustainability
- Usability and benefits: How simple or easy is it to use?
- How does it enrich the driver or passenger experience and convenience?
- Evidence of user take up and market success
- Entries must be in “Live” implementation, specifically operating and available during 2016 and (up to Year end) 2016
Entries must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions:
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
Preview of Questions:
- What is the brand or name of your Best Mobile Innovation for Automotive entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please describe the nature of the entry, including what automotive challenge it addresses? i.e. how does it actually work, and what is the user proposition? Please describe it as accurately and simply as possible (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of the entry was deployed, or will be, in “live” service or implemented and available on the market for clients, customers, organisations or end users to buy or access during and up to year end 2016, and in which markets or countries? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile (cellular) technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)
- Please describe what you regard as genuinely innovative or unique about your entry and what brand new or unique benefits does it bring to the market for users? (approx. 250 words)
- What is the business model, the market potential you foresee and what makes it sustainable for the longer term? (approx. 250 words)
- What makes it simple to use, compelling as a new proposition and how does it specifically enrich the driver experience or convenience? (approx. 250 words)
- What is the ‘mobile’ (or cellular) aspect of the entry, and whom or what is it designed to communicate? How does it technically work? (approx. 250 words)
Please provide evidence of user take up since launch? (approx. 250 words)