1b. Best Mobile Innovation for Education or Learning
Mobile devices, technologies, applications and services are providing unique opportunities for academic institutions, businesses, teachers and trainers to develop and deliver educational learning & training, as well as manage education services and institutions more effectively and efficiently.
For pupils and students, this means that educational resources and vocational training can now be accessed anywhere, anytime regardless of location, supporting the social process of learning.
This includes traditional learning environments such as classrooms, workplaces, at home, community locations or in transit. The wider practice of mobile based Education, (which includes Learning), enables teachers and institutions to be more efficient and make effective use of real-time and non-location specific systems for administration and communication.
This award category reflects the rapid convergence of the mobile and education, highlighting key areas of genuine innovation throughout the world today. This includes tools for academic administrative efficiencies, dynamic timetabling, resource management, or even cloud services such for data or system management tailored specifically to academic institutions.
Worldreader & Opera for Worldreader Mobile
Entry Deadline & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all organisations in the education & learning eco-system that provide mobile (cellular) connected products, devices, services, applications, solutions and initiatives. The subject of the entry must
utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards. Entrants
must also demonstrate “Live” implementation, specifically that the entry is operating and available during, and to Year end, 2016.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities, such as public & private sector partnerships.
- Education equipment, notebook, handheld and specialist learning device manufacturers
- Academic, vocational and training institutions and organisations
- Mobile network operators
- Mobile equipment manufacturers & vendors
- NGOs & Foundations
- Application & Software Developers
- Education solution & content providers
- Educational Publishers
Educational supply, resource and training institutions
- Class Management, Cloud & Administrative Efficiency applications & systems
- Distance or remote community learning tools & applications
- Collaborative learning & sharing platforms & applications
- Interactive, Multimode, Video, Podcast, applications, content & tools
- Virtual and Augmented Reality learning & training applications
- Textbooks, Visual aids, AV and presentation technologies and apps
- Parental communications, interactivity and collaborative tools
- Workforce, life skills training & learning
- Technology, application & ICT training & development
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- Innovation in terms of learning functionality, teaching effectiveness, administrational functions, technology, business models and market potential
- Ease of access & usability: How simple or easy is it to access & use?
- Transformational impact: how has it improved access, personalisation and other learning processes? How has it improved teaching, administration and socialisation?
- Sustainability e.g. potential for long term growth and success
- How it applies to specific curricular & key learning objectives?
- How it makes best use of mobile (cellular)?
- How it links to institutional systems such as virtual learning environments and management information systems?
- Evidence of user or institutional take up.
Entries must be “Live” and specifically available during, and up to Year end 2016
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the name of your Best Mobile Innovation for Education or Learning entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards materials & publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Please describe the nature of the entry and the challenge it addresses? i.e. how does it actually work, and what is the user proposition? Please describe it as accurately and simply as possible (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of the entry was deployed, or will be, in “live” service or implemented and available on the market for clients, customers, students, organisations or end users to buy or access during (to year end) 2016, and in which markets or countries? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile (cellular) technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)
- Please describe what you regard as innovative about your entry and tell us why this is significant. (approx. 250 words)
- Please describe your customer, or the end user and the potential for development that you see through your entry. What level of success can you demonstrate to date? (approx. 250 words)
- Why would your customer or user need and use this product, application or service? (approx. 250 words)
- How does your education innovation work? What role does mobile (cellular) technology or your mobile operator play and why is this significant? (approx. 250 words)
Please provide other information relevant to your entry, such as evidence of education impact, efficiencies, lower costs, sustainability etc. (approx. 250 words)