6a. Best Mobile Infrastructure
The Best Mobile Infrastructure award recognizes the importance of the fundamental elements of the mobile network; the Radio Access Network (RAN), the transport and back haul, and the CN (Core Network). These make up the ‘engine room’ of any mobile operator’s network and are paramount to the success of any operator’s business.
The RAN, back haul and Core Network constitutes the major part of capital investment in network development and expansion for operators and represents the vital components for any network operation. As the network constitutes the greatest part of any operator’s capital investments and operating costs, this category is particularly looking for entries that demonstrate substantial reductions to the life cycle costs of operating a network.
If your entry relates specifically to LTE & its further evolution, you may also consider entering Category 6e Outstanding Contribution for LTE Evolution to 5G. LTE based solutions with notable support for 2G and 3G legacy will also be considered in that category.
This category includes, but is not restricted to, all the nodes and elements in the RAN including small cells and the Core – both Circuit Switch and Packet Core. The transmission and backhaul (as part of the access network) is also included in this category.
Ericsson for Ericsson Radio System
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all players in the mobile sector and all participating organisations that are developing a wide range of advanced mobile infrastructure solutions. It is for infrastructure equipment that must been launched, deployed on a “live” commercial network and commercially available during and up to the end of 2016. Trial or Beta system deployments are not considered to be eligible. Entries for this category must also be for mobile (cellular) technologies based on open industry standards.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however due to the nature of this sector, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities.
- Mobile Network Infrastructure manufacturers and suppliers using mobile technologies
- Software developers
- Innovators in the mobile industry
This award will be focused on the best in class RAN, Core and Access deployments and will look at features, functionality, scalability, price points and innovation.Examples of this are:
- Major reduction in the life cycle costs of operating a mobile network.
- New features and functionality in the underlying infrastructure
- Scalability across varying market needs
- Protection of existing operator investment
- Superior voice, messaging and data handling
- Seamless integration with other vendors’ equipment
- Progressive support to SDO standards and demonstration of leading edge deployment of technology
- Simpler, easier and lower cost of operations and maintenance for operators
- Price point advantage
- Market success on a global scale
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- What is the major impact of your infrastructure development?
- How does the infrastructure solution impact on the mobile industry?
- What are the innovative or unique features of the technology?
- Support for all generations of technology and protection of existing investments through backward compatibility to existing/legacy infrastructure.
- Entries must be for mobile technologies based on open industry standards
- To what extent does the technology significantly change the economics of the mobile industry and in particular for operators?
- Speed and ease of deployment and operations
- Global success in the market place
- Note the product or equipment must be deployed in a live network (carrying live customers or traffic) during, and up to the end of, 2016.
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the brand name of your Best Mobile Infrastructure entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity and materials. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please confirm that the product or equipment was, or will be, commercially available and in live service (carrying live traffic or customers) during 2016 and in which markets? (approx. 100 words)
- If this product or service is a new release or update to an existing version, please explain the key differences and advances available in this release compared to the previous version. Please note that it is only the new release enhanced features or functions that the judges will consider. (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile (cellular) technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)
- Give a brief overview of the entry here. This is for the benefit of the judges to help them understand the broad concepts of your entry (approx. 100 words)
- To what extent does your new approach to the mobile infrastructure and the technology being deployed change the economics of the mobile industry and especially for the mobile operator? (approx. 250 words)
- How does your solution protect existing investments made by the mobile operator in infrastructure to date? (approx. 250 words)
- Please describe what is unique, new or innovative about your infrastructure or solution? (approx. 250 words)
- Is your solution applicable to multiple markets on a global scale? (approx. 250 words)
- Give evidence of the global market success or take up rate of your technology (approx. 250 words)