6e. Outstanding Contribution for LTE Evolution to 5G
This new category reflects the industry’s move towards 5G – and includes light-speed Mobile Broadband, Network Transformation, optimised content delivery and the IoT*.
LTE and LTE-Advanced networks have played a significant role in providing data services to mobile customers around the world and are now well established in leading markets. The advent of further network upgrades in the move to 5G will provide even lower latency, incredible reliability and super-fast speeds and usher in a range of benefits to businesses and citizens alike. , Network Transformation, optimised content delivery with low latency/ultra-reliability as well as IoT services.
The award for Outstanding Contribution for LTE to 5G Evolution will recognise the new wave of business opportunities that advance the value of mobile technology that mobile operators deliver to consumers, enabling vertical industries and delivering vast socio-economic benefits to countries across the globe.
What are the big ideas that make the leap from being an LTE mobile broadband network to a network of the future?
*See also additional category for IoT – Best IoT Innovation for Mobile Networks
This is a new category for 2017
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all players in the Mobile Broadband eco-system, and all participating organisations that are developing and innovating a wide range of advanced mobile broadband solutions, services and contributing to the standards process for LTE evolution toward 5G. The subject of the entry must utilise, support, deploy or be accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards. Entrants must also demonstrate “Live” implementation, specifically that the entry is either operating commercially, or in a live pilot or trial up to Year end of 2016.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however due to the nature of this sector, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities.
- Mobile Network Operators deploying LTE and demonstrating bold and aggressive strategies for the next phase of LTE evolution
- Infrastructure suppliers developing evolving LTE to 5G equipment, products and solutions
- Suppliers of network technologies supporting the LTE to 5G evolution
- Service platforms or service enhancement capabilities
- Entries that have been developed as a result of partnerships between Operators and third parties demonstrating LTE for opening up new user segments
- Component, chip set, micro-processor, memory, manufacturers
- Software developers
- Innovators in the mobile ecosystem
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- What is the major aspect of your LTE evolution to 5G innovation and what are the unique elements of it?
- What is the industry challenge it is addressing?
- What is the current status and level of support in terms of the industry, customers etc?
- How the entry advances mobile evolution beyond LTE and LTE-A?
- To what extent it is driving down the cost curve for mobile deployments?
- How does it empower value creation for customers, partners or the broader eco-system?
- How does it enable consistent experiences and sustainable business models or technology strategies?
- What capacity increases can be envisioned?
- Is the product, service, solution scaleable?
- What can be achieved in terms of tangible transmission speed, latency, quality of service or other technology advances?
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
- What is name of your entry to the Outstanding Contribution for LTE Evolution to 5G category? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards materials and publicity. (approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx 25 words)
- Please describe the nature of the entry and the industry challenge it addresses? i.e. how does it actually work, and what is the network or user proposition? Please describe it as accurately and simply as possible (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of the entry was either deployed commercially or as a trial or pilot or will be by year end 2016? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your innovation utilises or deploys mobile technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)
- What is the current status and level of support in terms of the industry, customers etc.?
- What is the major aspect of the innovation for LTE Evolution to 5G and what are the unique elements of it? (approx. 150 words)
- How does the entry advance mobile evolution beyond LTE and LTE-A? (approx. 150 words)
- What makes the innovation stand out from the way LTE and LTE-A is deployed or used today? (approx. 150 words)
- To what extent could it drive down the cost curve for mobile deployment? (approx. 150 words)
- How does it empower value creation or benefits for customers, networks, partners or the broader eco-system? (approx. 250 words)
- How does it enable consistent experiences and sustainable business models or technology strategies? (approx. 250 words)
- What levels of capacity increases, transmission speeds, latency, quality of service or other technology advances can be envisioned through it? (approx. 250 words)