4b. Best Mobile App for Virtual or Augmented Reality
If you avoided the subjects of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality this year, you may have been on another planet entirely. 2016 was the year that VR and AR apps exploded into the mainstream.
This category seeks the very best and most innovative Smartphone (or Mobile AR & VR) based apps for these exciting, though very different new digital technologies: Augmented reality that overlays virtual 3D graphics onto our view of the real world; and Virtual Reality which immerses the user in 360 degree views of new worlds with little or no sensory input from the room your body is actually in.
Leading technology analysts are already predicting that VR has is showing its potential to be one of the most disruptive technologies for a decade, and together with breakthrough market success of AR in 2016, the market is clearly at a tipping point for both technologies. Predictions range from VR & AR devices becoming a $4Bn business by 2018 to $117Bn market for AR, and $33.9Bn for VR, by the year 2022.
In line with the growth and pace of device innovation, application developers, consumer and business sectors are moving quickly to seize on the opportunities for apps of every kind, from apps for games, sports, entertainment, video and UGC/social to business sectors such as automotive, medical, marketing, education, logistics, aerospace, travel & leisure, brands, retail and just about every industry sector.
This is a new category for 2017
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
The process to enter the Best Mobile App for Virtual or Augmented is simple.
All you need to do is:
- Provide a short description of the App, together with a list key features, and latest innovations and any other information you consider relevant
- A link to where it can be downloaded from your website, or one of the major app stores (along with a free access or redemption code if the app is not free, for our judges to download it)
- A link to a gameplay video on YouTube, Vimeo or other public video platform
- A link to a key page on your website with more information about the game
To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
This award category is open to all application developers and others in the mobile ecosystem that develop lifestyle Apps. The app must have been available for users to access or buy during and up to the end of 2016, in at least one country. It must also utilise, support, deploy or be accessible through mobile technologies based on open industry standards.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however, it is by no means exhaustive.
- Application Developers
- Games developers and Publishers
- Content Aggregators & Middleware Developers
- Consumer & Business Brands
- Mobile Device Manufacturers
- Mobile Networks
- Almost any vertical sector developing AR & VR apps today
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- Creativity and quality of design & graphics
- New Innovation – unique functionality, content choice or new capabilities
- Simplicity of the user experience & ease of use
- Usefulness or compelling in entertainment appeal
- Quality, enjoyment and extent of immersive and interactive experiences & environments
- Stickiness and appeal of apps for the longer term
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the name of your VR or AR Mobile App? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please provide a short description of the App, together with details of type of content available, with key features, latest innovations and information on where the app is available (approx. 250 words)
- Please provide a link to where the app can be downloaded from one of the major app stores (approx. 100 words)
- If the app is a paid app, please provide a free access or redemption code (approx. 85 words)
- Please provide a link to a video about the app on YouTube, Vimeo or other public video platform (approx. 100 words)
- Please provide a website link for the app (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the app was, or will be live, implemented and available in at least one market for clients, customers, organisations or end users to buy or access during (to year end) 2016, and in which markets or countries? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)