Category 7 – Government Mobile Excellence Awards
7c. Economic Policy for Sustainable Mobile Growth
The mobile telecoms sector is an important contributor to the socio-economic growth of countries. The sector makes a significant contribution to GDP through consumer payments for devices and services, industry expenditure on networks and support services and catalyzing wider economic activity.
An economic policy environment that encourages investment and service adoption is critical to deliver sustainable mobile growth. Policy decisions such as removal of mobile sector-specific taxes encourage mobile usage, attract investments and positively impact the economy and government’s tax receipts.
This award recognises the government who makes economic policy decisions that incentivise investment and encourage the adoption and usage of mobile services.
The award will be announced on Monday 24th February 2014 at the Ministerial Programme, part of Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, Spain.
Entry is open to the governments of all United Nations-recognised countries.
Please note there is no entry fee for this category.
Entries for the Economic Policy for Sustainable Mobile Growth award will be judged on the following main criteria:
- Good practice in economic regulation and policies that have fostered mobile growth
- Removal of barriers to investment and growth of the mobile sector, such as high-sector-specific taxation
- Development of a policy framework that aligns economic policies with digital growth agenda
Entry forms, supporting materials & formats:
Category judges will include senior representatives from industry and academia.
If you are referring judges to a website, please refer to one (1) website URL, where specific information relating to your application can be found. Please note judges will not have time to browse websites looking for the information so please do not submit a URL for homepage or an index page; the best possible URL will include specific information about your policies.
The online entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multimedia content. You can upload five (5) additional files to accompany your application, with a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be government frameworks, illustrated PDFs, JPG for photos or PowerPoint for technical diagrams or statistics. Please ensure these are relevant to your entry and keep to a maximum of two (2) pages.
We encourage you to submit an existing video to support your application. You may provide 1 URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
Specific application form questions for this category:
In addition to submitting contact information, you will be asked to answer 5 questions. A maximum of 1,500 characters (approximately 250 words) including spaces is permitted per response.
Preview of questions:
- Name of the government or regulatory organisation submitting your country’s application.
- What you consider to be the key achievement of your organisation in relation to telecommunications policy-making in the last year?
- Provide an outline of your approach for determining economic policy for the promotion of mobile broadband in your country.
- Describe steps you have taken in the past year to incentivise investment, including foreign direct investment if applicable, in the roll-out of mobile infrastructure and services in your country.
- Describe steps you have taken to stimulate demand for mobile-based services by the public sector, business and consumers.