Category 6: Best Mobile Technology
6e: Best Solution for Growing Smaller or Independent Networks
This is a new category introduced for the first time this year. As mobile technology becomes more complex in terms of delivering LTE and LTE+ as well supporting 3G and 2G, we see more focus on solutions suited to the high capacity end of the market and for operators supporting many millions of customers in single markets. This category has been introduced to recognise those products and solutions aimed at meeting the needs of Independent mobile networks that do not have the benefit of large economies of scale and increasingly need innovative solutions that address their needs in smaller population markets.
There are nearly 400 mobile operators around the world with less than 1 million customers. The vast majority are capped not by lack of ambition or the absence of innovation in the market place – they simply operate in the very ‘long tail’ of smaller markets. This category has been established to encourage and promote solutions for independent operators in small markets.
The category is open to a wide range of products and solutions aimed at the Independent Operator including but not restricted to these examples:
- Underlying 2G 3G and LTE infrastructure for RAN, Core, ePC, IMS and RCS
- Simpler, easier and more cost effective operations and maintenance
- Achieving cost and price points in low scale markets
- CRM, BSS, OSS and other vital back-office functions
- VAS and other innovative customer products and services with fast pay back
- Sharing service delivery capability with other Independent Operators
- Network planning, dimensioning and implementation. Fast-roll-out and low cost deployment
The judges will shortlist five entries in this category, with one winner announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Tuesday 25th February 2014.
Entry is open to all players in the Mobile sector and all participating organisations that are developing a wide range of solutions aimed at the small mobile markets and Independent operators.
Entry is open to:
- Mobile Network Infrastructure manufacturers and suppliers using the GSM family of technologies
- Software developers
- Innovators in the mobile industry
- VAS and Innovative Service providers
- BSS, OSS, and CRM solution providers
- Independent Mobile Network Operators
- Planning tools and systems suppliers
- New investment models
The platform, equipment, software, product or service entered must have been launched and commercially available prior to the closing deadline of the awards – Friday 6th December 2013. This must include at least one full commercial deployment carrying live customers or demonstrable use of the service or platform. Trials or Beta System deployments are not considered to be eligible. Please provide evidence in your entry to support this such as the end user launch date of the service, including details of countries or regions where the service is available and being used commercially.
The Entry Deadline has been extended until Friday 6th December 2013.
Entries for the Best Solution for Growing Independent Networks category will be judged on the following main criteria: Please note a small market is defined as sub 5 million customers and an Independent Operator is defined as having less than 1 million customers.
- How does the solution help Independent Operators in smaller markets?
- What are the innovative or unique features of the technology that meet the needs of the Independent operators?
- To what extent does the technology improve the economics for Mobile Operators in small markets?
- Speed, cost and ease of deployment and operations
Entry forms, supporting materials & formats:
The submission of video to support your entry/entries is strongly encouraged.
You may provide one URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be between 3 and 5 minutes in length, but no more.
If pointing judges to a website within your entry, please include one website URL, where specific information relating to your product or service entry can be found easily (judges will not surf websites looking for the information).
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multimedia. You will have the ability to upload 5 additional files to accompany your entry up to a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be illustration PDF for customer testimonials etc, JPEG for photos or PowerPoint for technical diagrams or statistics, but please keep these relevant to your entry and keep the pages to a maximum of 2.
Specific Entry Form Questions for this category:
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text/character length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
Preview of entry form questions:
- What is the brand name of your Technology solution? (i.e. the entry) Please Note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (150characters = approx 25 words)
- Give evidence that the product or solution was commercially available and in service carrying live traffic or customers before 29 November 2013 and in which markets? (150characters = approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so who are the partnering organisations? (150characters = approx 25 words)
- If this product or service is a new release or an update to an existing version, please explain the key differences and advances available in this release compared to the previous version. Please note that it is only the new release enhanced features or functions that the judges will consider. (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- To what extent does your technology improve the economics of Independent operators in smaller markets? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- What are the other (non-financial) key benefits of your technology for small markets and particularly for the mobile operators in these markets? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Please describe what is unique, new or innovative about your solution? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Give evidence of the market success or take up rate of your technology? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
Please note: Use one URL that is specific and relevant to the category and will help judges further understand your entry, but due to the number of entries received, judges will not have time to surf company websites looking for further information on the entered product/service or initiative.