Category 6: Best Mobile Technology
6c. Best Cloud Based Technology for Mobile
This category as introduced last year for the first time to recognise the emerging influence of cloud based technologies on the mobile environment. This category covers how Cloud technology is improving mobile operator’s capability to bring services and products to the market much more quickly, increase their flexibility, reduce costs, improve time to market, improve operational excellence and allow collaborative and partnering arrangements with other sectors to flourish.
This category is not for the service using Cloud technologies as services have their own categories (2a and 2b). The opportunity for cloud technology is persuasive across the entire mobile eco system from more cost effective network solutions through to end user services. Cloud technologies also offer new structures and opportunities for billing and customer care. The award will be open to IaaS and PaaS, technologies.
This award will go to the organisation making best and most innovative use of cloud based technologies in the mobile environment for GSM 3G and LTE based service providers or end users. The judges will be looking for across a range of innovative and clever solutions using Cloud technologies to improve operational efficiencies, allow greater economy of scale or allow for new and enhanced services for users.
Examples of this are:
- New concepts for mobile interworking inside and outside of mobile environments which challenge existing structures, business models and industry economics
- Scalability across varying market needs including support for low ARPU segments
- Improving the end user experience
- Guaranteeing service levels and quality of service
- Speed to market of new products and services
- Transition from current delivery solutions to cloud based options
The judges will shortlist five entries in this category, with one winner announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Tuesday 25th February 2014.
Entry is open to all vendors, suppliers, providers and operators in the Mobile sector who are using cloud based technology to compliment and supplement the GSM family of GSM, 3G and LTE.
Entry is open to:
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Service Platform and Service providers using Cloud based technology
- Innovators in the mobile industry
The platform, equipment or software entered must have been launched and commercially available prior to the closing deadline of the awards – Friday 6th December 2013. This must include at least one full commercial deployment carrying live customers or traffic with demonstrable use of the platform. Trials or Beta System deployments are not considered to be eligible. Please provide evidence in your entry to support this such as the end user launch date of the service, including details of countries or regions where the service is available.
The Entry Deadline has been extended until Friday 6th December 2013.
Entries for the Best Mobile Infrastructure Technology category will be judged on the following main criteria:
- How does your cloud based solution impact on the mobile industry?
- Is your cloud based solution applicable to multiple markets with global reach?
- What are the particular innovative or unique features of your cloud based technology?
- To what extent does your cloud based technology change the economics of the mobile industry?
- Speed and ease of deployment and operations
Entry forms, supporting materials & formats:
The submission of video to support your entry/entries is strongly encouraged.
You may provide one URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be between three and five minutes in length, but no more.
If pointing judges to a website within your entry, please include one website URL, where specific information relating to your product or service entry can be found easily (judges will not surf websites looking for the information).
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multimedia. You will have the ability to upload 5 additional files to accompany your entry up to a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be illustration PDF for customer testimonials etc, JPEG for photos or PowerPoint for technical diagrams or statistics, but please keep these relevant to your entry and keep the pages to a maximum of 2.
Specific Entry Form Questions for this category:
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text/character length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the brand name of your Cloud Based Mobile Technology? (i.e. the entry) Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (150characters = approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (150characters = approx 25 words)
- Give evidence that the solution was commercially available before 29th November 2013 and in which markets? (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- Please describe as simply as possible, the nature of the cloud based technology i.e. what is it and how does it work? Please describe it as accurately and succinctly as possible (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- To what extent does your cloud based technology solution change the economics of the mobile industry? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- What are the other (non-financial) key benefits for the mobile industry of your technology? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Please describe what is unique, new or innovative about your cloud based approach? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- What is the user benefit of your cloud based technology? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Give evidence of the market success or take up rate of your technology (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
Please note: Use one URL that is specific and relevant to the category and will help judges further understand your entry, but due to the number of entries received, judges will not have time to surf company websites looking for further information on the entered product/service or initiative.