Category 1: The Connected Life Awards
1c. Best Mobile Product or Service for Automotive
Focused on mobile connectivity in the hi speed world of mobile and automotive convergence, the Best Mobile Product or Service for Automotive category aims to highlight genuine innovation in telematics and infotainment and the deployment of ‘connected cars’ and their associated services, products, services, applications and initiatives.
Innovation could address all service categories (infotainment systems, connected navigation or telematics) for passenger vehicles (combustion engines, electrical vehicles, hybrid) and commercial vehicles. In particular, we would like to draw attention to the solutions, which foster wide-spread deployment of connected vehicles and their services. Key aspects include:
- Promoting embedded mobile connectivity for systems and services
- Demonstrating the enrichment of the driver’s experience and convenience, while ensuring safety e.g. entertainment, location, diagnostics(e.g. avoiding driver distraction)
- Multiplier effect on the development for additional products/services/functionality
- Deployment outlook – potential for widespread implementation, with no regulatory infringement
- Promoting interoperability (e.g. simple to configure and little investment)
The shortlist will be published by the GSMA in January 2014, and one winner in each category will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Tuesday 25th February 2014.
This award is open to all organisations in the automotive and/or mobile ecosystem that provide mobile connectivity based products, devices, solutions, applications or services.
The category is for commercially available products, applications or services that have been launched in at least one country/ market OR are in widespread market trials before the awards deadline (entrants will be required to provide more information about the extent of trials). The Entry Deadline has been extended until Friday 6th December 2013.
Please provide evidence in your entry to support this such as launch or trial dates, including details of countries or regions where the product/ device/ service/application is available or trial undertaken.
Eligible entrants include:
- Telematics equipment manufacturers
- Telematics solution providers
- Automotive manufacturers
- Mobile network operators
- Chipset and module manufacturers
- Application & Software Developers
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- Innovation in terms of functionality and mobile technology deployed
- Product or Service business models and market potential
- Usability: How simple/easy is it to use? How does it enrich the driver/passenger experience/convenience
- Evidence of user take up and market success
Entry forms, supporting materials & formats:
The submission of video to support your entry/entries is positively encouraged.
You may provide one URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be between three and five minutes in length, but no more.
If pointing judges to a website within your entry, please include one website URL, where specific information relating to your product/ device/ solution/ application/ service entry can be found(judges will not surf websites looking for the information).
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multi-media. You will have the ability to upload five additional files to accompany your entry up to a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be illustration PDF for customer testimonials etc, JPEG for photos or PowerPoint for technical diagrams or statistics, but please keep these relevant to your entry and keep the pages to a maximum of 2.
Specific Entry Form Questions:
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions. (Please note the maximum text/character length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
Preview of entry form questions:
- What is the brand or name of your entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (150 characters = approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (150 characters = approx 25 words)
- Please describe as simply as possible, the nature of the entry and the user proposition i.e. how does it work, what need is it intended to fulfil? Please describe it as accurately as possible(500 characters = approx 85 words)
- When was the entry product or service launched and in which markets, if in market trials please state, when, where and scale of the trials? (500 characters = approx 85 words)
- Please describe what you regard as genuinely innovative or unique about your entry and what new or unique benefits does it bring to the market for users? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- What is the business model and the market potential you foresee? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- What makes it simple to use, compelling as a new proposition and how does it specifically enrich driver experience or convenience? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
- What is the ‘mobile’ element designed to communicate, and with what/who? How does it technically work? (1500 characters = approx 250 words)
- Please provide evidence of user take up since launch, or trial results? (1,500 characters = approx 250 words)
Please note: Use one URL that is specific and relevant to the category and will help judges further understand your entry, but due to the number of entries received, judges will not have time to surf company websites looking for further information on the entered product/service or initiative.