Category 7 – Government Leadership Awards
Category 7c. Best m-Government Initiative
Mobile technologies are used by governments to improve communication and interaction with citizens. The use of mobile technologies for governmental or administrative processes has become commonly known as mobile government or m-Government. Through the effective use of mobile technology, new policies are being implemented that improve existing government services and to take innovative approaches to the use of mobile.
For example, integrated sensors such as GPS receivers and compasses facilitate the development of context sensitive mobile services. Communication technologies like NFC can simplify communications and facilitate an efficient data exchange between mobile devices. In addition mobile identity services, such as Mobile Digital Signature and Cloud or SIM-based ID storage, can allow businesses and mobile users greater flexibility and security to use mobile to use services such as voting, declaring taxes or customs, claiming pensions, and creating identity such as birth certificates.
This award is for the government who has embraced mobile technologies as an opportunity to leverage the potential of mobile to improve government initiatives.
The award will be announced on Tuesday 26th February 2013 at the Government Mobile Forum, held during Ministerial Programme at the Mobile World Congress 2013.
Entry is open to the governments of all United Nations-recognised countries.
Entries for the Best m-government initiative Award will be judged on the following main criteria:
- Demonstrated vision in the use of mobile to improve government services or initiatives
- Development of regulatory or mobile policy framework that facilitate greater use of mobile technology by communities, business or citizens
- Development of mobile technology standards and protocols that support faster and more sophisticated applications
Category judges will include senior representatives from industry and academia.
Entry forms, supporting materials and formats:
If you are referring judges to a website, please refer to one (1) website URL, where specific information relating to your application can be found. Please note judges will not have a time to browse websites looking for the information so please do not submit a URL for homepage or an index page; the best possible URL will include specific information about your policies.
The online entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide multimedia content. You can upload five (5) additional files to accompany your application, with a maximum file size of 5MB each. These can be government frameworks, illustrated PDF, JPEG for photos or screen shots, or PowerPoint for technical diagrams, screen shots or statistics. Please ensure these are relevant to your entry and keep to a maximum of two (2) pages.
We encourage you to submit an existing video to support your application. Examples of this may be which may be a video demonstrating the use of your m-Government initiative or an animation of how it works. You may provide one (1) URL to a video link demonstrating your entry. This should be either privately or publicly posted to YouTube or Vimeo (if a private post, please provide a user name and password for judges to access). The video should be no more than five (5) minutes in length.
Specific application form questions for this category:
In addition to submitting contact information, you will be asked to answer five (5) questions. A maximum of 1,500 characters (approximately 250 words) including spaces is permitted per response.
Preview of questions:
- Name of the government or regulatory organisation submitting your country’s application
- Provide an outline of your government’s vision in the use of mobile to improve government services or initiatives
- Describe any regulatory or mobile policy frameworks that have facilitate greater use of mobile technology by communities, businesses or citizens
- Describe any mobile technology standards and protocols that have supported faster and more sophisticated applications
- If you have developed an application, please provide
- Application name
- Application platform
- Instructions for download and use of application