5e. Best Connected Consumer Electronics Device
The Best Connected Consumer Electronic Device is specifically for everyday consumer electronic devices and gadgets that bring new and smart applications, efficiencies and functionality to the user either at home or on the move. This includes consumer electronics, business devices or everyday devices, for example; cameras, gadgets, household appliances, gaming consoles, music players, computer equipment, advertising or signage displays and other connected consumer devices. Essentially suitable entries should:
- Promote mobile connectivity and innovation through smart applications and services that enable everyday appliances and everyday gadgets with connected intelligence
- Demonstrate enriched user experiences (e.g. simple to configure and use, with seamless connectivity)
- Have a potential for a multiplier effect on the development for additional products/services/functionality
- Have great potential and a clear business case – with opportunities for widespread scalability and implementation
Samsung for Samsung Gear S2
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 23rd November 2016
The Shortlist will be published in late January 2017
Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 27th February – 2nd March 2017
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all organisations supporting the mobile eco-system that provide connectivity through consumer and or business to consumer products and devices. It is for submissions that have been launched, live, implemented or operating and available during and up to year end 2016. The subject of the entry must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however due to the nature of this sector, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities
- Consumer electronics equipment manufacturers
- B2C equipment providers, such as computer, signage, manufacturers
- Machine to Machine (M2M) OEMs
- Mobile network operators
- Chipset & module manufacturers
- Embedded solution providers & System integrators
- Gaming consoles, E-Readers
- Cameras, HiFi & Audio & Music Players
- Smart appliances, e.g. Refrigerators, Washing machines, Lighting, Heating, Alarms
- Lighting, Heating, Thermostats & other articles of Homeware,
- Bicycles, automotive, infotainment,
- Vehicle & Property trackers,
- Security Systems & Surveillance Cameras
- Toys, personal trackers for kids safety & security
- Animal & Pet Trackers
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- Innovation in terms of functionality, mobile technology deployed
- Business models and market potential
- Usability: How simple/easy is it to use?
- How it taps into new under-served market segments
- How does it make use of the attributes of the SIM card
- Evidence of user take up and market success
- Use of mobile (or cellular) for connectivity
- Products devices, applications or services that have been launched, operating and available during 2016.
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the brand or name of your Best Connected Consumer Electronic Device entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards materials and publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please describe simply what it is, how it works and what consumer need it is intended to fulfil, as accurately and simply as possible. (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm device was, or will be available on the market for clients, customers, organisations or end users to buy or access during (to year end) 2016, and in which markets or countries? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile (cellular) technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)
- If this product or device is new, or an update to an existing model, please explain the key differences and advances available in this version compared to previous versions. Please note that it is only the new enhanced features or functions that the judges will consider (approx. 100 words)
- Please describe what you regard as innovative about the product or device? (approx. 250 words)
- What is the business model and the market potential you foresee? (approx. 250 words)
- What makes it simple to use and compelling as a new consumer or B2C proposition? (approx. 250 words)
- What is the mobile connectivity element designed to communicate, and with what/who? How does it technically work and make use of the SIM? (approx. 250 words)
- Please provide evidence of user take up since launch, or trial results? (approx. 250 words)
- How does this product or service tap into new under-served market segments? (approx. 250 words)